2018 Outdoor Recreational Youth & Junior Coaches and Coach’s Assistants
- For coaches (age 17 or older), a basic understanding of field hockey is required.
- For assistants (high school age), a positive attitude is the main requirement.
- Create a positive learning environment where players learn sportsmanship, fundamental skills, teamwork, and responsibility.
- Be available at the times when games, practices, and meetings are held.
- Communicate program information to parents and players.
- Provide a safe environment for practice and games by checking the condition of fields and equipment.
- Provide simple first aid when injuries occur. Fill out and turn in an accident report form to HFHC the day after any injury occurs that requires more than simple first aid. Call 911 for any severe injury. Basic First Aid Certification is an asset.
- Report any problems with fields, equipment, player behavior, parent behavior, or officials.
- Abide by all officials’ decisions.
- Read and have all registration forms from your players at every practice and game. You will be responsible for knowing the existing medical conditions of your players that are listed on their registration form.
- A Vulnerable Sector Screening Police Check is required. This type of request is for applicants requiring checks for the purposes of volunteering with the supervision of children. The search of information will include the same data as a regular Police Records Check Request, as well as ascertain if applicants have ever been pardoned for a sexual offence. It requires the signed consent of the applicant.
The Club will be hosting a series of coaching clinics for Community and Competition coaches. These courses are open to all house league and competitive coaches. Final details of locations and times will be available soon.
If you are an active coach with the Club, your fees may be covered. Email the program director(s) for more information.
*Note: all coaches will need an NCCP # and will need to have completed the Making Headway course online. Visit www.coach.ca to get your # and to take the course.